Saturday, January 7, 2012

Applie Pie

I have never made an apple pie before but I made one for Thanksgiving and it was delicious and easy!! I was so nervous. I cheated and used the pillsbury pie shells but next time I will attempt homemade pie crust. I even did a lattice top. I have the pic on my cell phone I will try to see if I can upload it. If not you will get a pretty picture of someone elses apple pie

Works best with 9 inch glass pie pan. You will need two layers of crust. You can make your own or cheat and use Pillsbury.

Preheat oven to 350

1/2 c. butter
3 T flour
1/4 cup water minus 1 Tablespoon
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 T vanilla
6-8 granny smith apples peeled, cored and sliced (I used an apple slicer and then cut each slice in 1/2)

Melt the butter in a saucepan, add flour to form a paste. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the apples and bring to a boil.

**Reserve 1/4 c of the sauce and leave in saucepan - make sure it stays warm**

Place your apples in a bowl and pour the sauce (minus the reserved 1/4 c.) over the apples and gently stir.

Place your bottom crust in your pan. Pour apple mixture into your pan. Cover with the other pie crust. You can cover completely and cut a few slits in the top or you can do a lattice crust.

Once pie crust is placed cover the top of the pie with the reserved liquid.

Place piepan on a jelly roll pan and bake for approximately 1 hour.

**If you are going to do a lattice crust make sure to prepare your strips ahead of time and work quickly. The sauce that is left over will get thick and its difficult to spread over the top of the pie if you wait too long.**

Also make sure to cover the outside of the crust with foil so it doesnt burn. I put foil around the edge and kept it there the whole time it baked. I know some people only put the foil on for a short period of time while it bakes.

I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com and I couldnt figure out how to upload my phone pic so here is a random pic of someone elses apple pie!


No comments:

Post a Comment