Sunday, January 8, 2012

Homemade Fruitsnacks

I have neglected this blog for the last several months because 4 months ago my best friend Melanie introduced me to what we all know and love...Pinterest. This website has consumed way too many hours but it is sooo worth it. I pin a million things but I am really bad at trying any of the things I pin...but I did try these and the kids liked em! To be honest I was hesitant to make them because they are flavored with kool aid. I personally dont give my kids kool aid because of the sugar/food coloring etc but I though...ah what the heck and made them anyway.

1 1/2 c sugar
3 c water
2 packets Koolaid or any other brand you like
4 c chopped zucchini

Wash and peel the zucchini. Cut them in half and remove the seeds and pulp with a spoon. Cut the zucchini into long strips and then cut the strips into 1 inch pieces.

In a large pot heat the water, sugar and koolaid. Add the zucchini as soon as the sugar is dissolved and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 30 min.

Drain throughly and you can reserve the juice if you have extra zucchini and want to make more. I just dumped the juice.

Line jelly roll pans with plastic wrap.. The lady from the recipe said sheused wax paper and it didnt work so I used foil and it was a nightmare to remove the pieces...so use the plastic wrap!

Set your oven to 170. In the original recipe she put hers in the oven at 11 at night and took them out the next morning. I checked mine 6 hours after I put them in the oven and I wish I would have taken then out then. I did leave them in overnight and they were a little too chewy and tough. I think if I would have taken them out at the 6 hour mark they would have been softer. You may have to play with the oven time.

Heres the link to the orginal recipe. She has great step by step directions with wonderful pictures. Heres a picture of what mine looked like

No comments:

Post a Comment