Wednesday, July 13, 2011

White/Whole Wheat Bread

I did it! I made bread for the first time and it actually turned out I was soooo excited! I wasnt sure if Zac would eat 100% whole wheat bread so I did 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat (fresh ground). Next time I am going to try all whole wheat.

Once again I got this yummy recipe from my friend Raygons blog. You can find the recipe here. I liked this recipe because I was able to use my Kitchen Aid. So many of the recipes call for 10-14 cups of wheat and my Kitchen Aid can only handle 7 cups or so. This recipe was just right!

3 cups wheat flour (you can use less or more)
1/3 cup molasses (or you can use honey)
1/3 cup oil
1 T Salt
1 T Yeast
2 3/4 c warm water
3 cups white flour (I use King Arthurs Bread Flour)

Proof your yeast. I took 1 cup of the water and mixed it with the yeast and waited 10 min for it to proof. I put the molassess oil, salt and the rest of the water in my Kitchen Aid. I then added my yeast mixture, slowly added the flour (it took 6 1/2 cups for the dough to stop sticking to the bowl). Then I kneaded it for 10 min, took it out of the Kitchen Aid and put into a bowl.

Let it rise until double in size (took about an hour)
Form into greased (I greased with butter) loaf pans. The recipe says it makes 2 loafs but it made 3 for me :)
Let loafs rise again until loafs are 1 1/2 times in size about 30-60 min (took mine 30 min to rise)
Bake 350 for 30-40 min - took 30 min for me

Once its out of the oven I took a stick of butter and spread it ontop of each loaf of bread - SO YUMMY. Zane and I ate 1/2 a loaf before Zac even got home from work

~Tia



No comments:

Post a Comment