Monday, June 13, 2011

90 minute rolls

I love my moms rolls! They are my favorite. She taught me how to make them before I had Zane but I never tried them on my own. I wanted to learn "again" so she came over a few weeks ago and showed me how to make them using my kitchen aid (she has a bosh). Ever since she taught me how to make them I have been on a baking kick. Ive been trying new recipes and trying to figure out how to make other breads etc. Its kind of addicting. Ive decided that dough is hard to figure out as every recipe has their own tricks and secrets!! This recipe makes about 2 dozen rolls

2 T Yeast ( Use Saf Instant Yeast)
1/2 c warm water
2 c warm water
4 T sugar
1/2 tsp salt ( I used 1/2 a tsp and they didnt quite taste like my moms so I used 1 tsp and they tasted better)
4 T melted butter (melt in microwave)
6 cups flour

First you need to proof your yeast. Take a glass measuring cup and put in 1 tsp of sugar (not included in the recipe) then add your 1/2 cup warm water and your 2 T yeast. Allow yeast to rise (it will look bubbly) for about 10 minutes. Once the yeast has risen, stir with a knife.

Put your 4 T of  sugar ( I use heaping tablespoons) in the bottom of the mixer then add your melted butter and 2 c. warm water. Then add your yeast mixture. Turn on your mixer ( I put my kitchen aid at 2) and pour in flour - one cup at a time. Keep adding flour until the dough starts pulling away from the bowl (It took me 5-6 cups of flour for this to occur).

Once the dough pulls away from the bowl (I say it resembles a tordorado of dough) then you kneed it for 4-6 minutes (dough will look smooth).

Turn the mixer off take the dough out and form it into a large ball. Take a large bowl and coat the bowl with extra virgin olive oil, place the dough in the bowl and cover with a cloth and let rise for 50 minutes. Once dough has risen, punch it down and form it back inot a ball. Then take pieces of the dough and form into balls, place dough balls in a 9x13 pan greased with butter. I usually use a 9x13 and a 8x8. I can fit 15 rolls in the 9x13 and 9 in the 8x8 for a total of 24 rolls.

Cover your pans with a cloth and let rise for 20 minutes.

Once they have risen, cook for 18-20 min 400 degrees. As soon as they come out of the oven I spread butter overreach roll.

This recipe is from my mom
Good Luck
~Tia

1 comment:

  1. Tia,
    Your rolls look so yummy! You are becoming quite the little cook...I think you will really enjoy this journey. love u

    ReplyDelete